From historical documents, diaries, and newspaper clippings, we know that scouting started in Petworth in 1909. The founding of Petworth and Pulborough district was led by Brigadier William Edward Harvey Grylls O.B.E. who was the grandfather of our current Chief Scout Bear Grylls.
1st Petworth was one of the original groups in the West Sussex area. In 1955, Lord Leconfield gave over an area of land to be used by the Scout group: Our current Scout HQ is built on this land on Sheepdown drive.
The group belongs to the Petworth and Pulborough Scout district along with groups in Ashington Billingshurst, Easebourne, Fittleworth, Harting, Ifold, Pulborough, Sullington & Storrington and Wisborough Green. The district is one of 11 which form scouting in West Sussex.
The whole district assembles for St George’s Day parade on the nearest Sunday to the 23 April and all members of the group are expected to attend. Throughout the year there are various other district and county camps, events and competitions run for the different sections. Children should be encouraged to take part in these, as it is important for them to realise that the “Family of Scouting” extends far beyond the four walls of Petworth Scout HQ.
1st Petworth is honoured to be included in the town’s annual Remembrance Day parade on the closest Sunday to 11 November. Again all members of the group are expected to attend this parade. The St Georges Parade and Remembrance Parade form the only two events in the year where attendance is mandatory.
Today, we are home to a Beaver Scout Colony, Cub Scout Pack and a Scout Troop. We are also joint home with Fittleworth to the Silver Stags Explorer Unit.